Thursday, August 12, 2010

I want them back in school!

So yesterday was the kids' first day off track until the first week of september. At first I was excited because then I would get to sleep in a little, but the excitement wore off when I had to grocery shopping with all of them. While at Macey's I found whole chickens on sale and purchased three of them. This was when the fun began.

I arrived home and fed the kids lunch and told them to go play while I cut up all the chicken. They decided to go ride bikes, but to do this I had to replace Emily's front innertube. Then Laurie insisted on riding her bike, which I have to help or she can't go anywhere (we are working on this problem). This activity took 45 minutes.

Just as I got into the house Emily and Josh come in and want to play with friends, but all their friends are on different tracks and had school. They found some kids who attend the charter school and won't start until monday, so soon my house was full of six kids instead of three.

I finally started to prep the kitchen to cut chicken and got one wing off when Josh and Friend needed help setting up a car track which also required finding new batteries. I get that done and cut up one chicken.

Starting on the next chicken I am inundated with requests for help with a computer game, drinks, snacks, and wanting to go swimming. I tell them that I can't fill up any pool until I am done with the chicken, and I keep working. I then get asked if they can go to their friend's house and run in the sprinkler. This idea sparks a search for their swimsuits. I keep telling them they are going to have to wait because I was all messy.

Long story short. I finally get the chicken cut, sorted, bagged, marinated and in the freezer. While keeping track of where the kids are and what they are doing. I also fill up the pool in the back yard and find all swimsuits.

I never thought that cutting up three chickens would be so hard. I do have three pounds of legs, two pounds of breasts, and a quart of chicken broth. Is it time for school yet?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I can sure relate! We always have extra kids at our house, extra mouths to feed, kids expecting me to do 10 things at once, I think I have almost become used to it, the business of being a mother and always multi-tasking! We only have 11 days left of summer at our house.

red said...

Wow you're awesome!!! Let us know if you want to go to the park :) Layton park is kind of far for you guys but they have lots of cool stuff there.

Michelle said...

I have similar problems with just one. I'm not sure how I'll do it with more than one. Good Luck!!

and way to go on butchering the chicken, I don't think I could do that.