Sunday, September 20, 2009

A 7 Mile Spontaneous Hike Up Adams Canyon

Yesterday we woke up & Val leaned over & said, "I want to go on a hike today!".
"OK, where do you want to go?"
"I don't really care, I just want to go on a hike".

I'd remembered a place called Adams Canyon east of Layton that I'd hiked a lot as a kid & thought that'd be a cool place to go.

So, we looked it up on the web and next thing we knew we'd loaded up the kids and headed up toward Adams Canyon. We didn't quite catch the fact that it was a full 7 mile hike though until we were well on our way.

The kids loved it & did really well hiking. We almost made it to the top (where there's a great waterfall), but it got really, really steep, so we stopped at a smaller water fall, ate our treats & headed back.

Here's some pictures of the fun.






This was shot about half-way up the canyon. Laurie was trying to get down to come to Daddy. She didn't want anything to do with mom so Dad got to carry her....all the way up.









This is where we stopped near the top. It was a mini waterfall. Josh LOVED throwing rocks into the river.





The hike in was about 3 1/2 miles in and another 3 1/2 out. So, our kids pulled off a 7 mile hike in under 3 hours. Not bad!

....now if I could do something about my aching hips & legs...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That is a steep hike! Good job Blairs!!
We need to go hiking more often.

Kristi said...

Looks like fun! I love doing spontaneous things like that, but I guess you probably remember that about me. :)

Max said...

Good Job,
I tarted that hike but didn't make it once. I don't know if I even made it to the waterfall you were at. However, I did take a bunch of kids once up to Timpanogas Cave.
Dad

Graydon Blair said...

We want to go up Timpanogas Cave sometime with the kids as well.

I remember the Timpanogas hike. I loved the cave!