Sunday, May 2, 2010

New Toys To Work On [Play With] at the Blairs

For the past few months I've been itching for a project to work on. In the past I've always had cars I could work on because they usually were so old that something always needed fixing.

However, in the past few years we've been blessed to be able to purchase vehicles that are new enough that they don't have anything wrong with them. I've also really wanted to start teaching Josh about cars so that as he gets older he'll know how to work on them.

With a project in mind to work on and play with, I started looking for older diesels so that I could tie the diesel part of it in with my business somehow as well (plus, I really like diesels!)

So, after a few months of looking at older Isuzu's, trucks, cars, and other diesels, I settled on getting an older Mercedes. The things are practically bullet proof and run forever.

Well, yesterday my dad went with me and I picked up my new "project" (toy). Josh is thrilled with it and already donned gloves yesterday when my dad & I started tearing into it. Now it just needs a name.

The toy has a 3 pointed star on it's hood....

Looks great from the front....

Has a fairly straight body (couple ding's & dents here & there)...

Has some lightly tinted windows....

Looks great from the rear....

Has a beautiful creme color interior complete with leather seats....

Back seat is in good shape too....

It comes with a very prestigious pedigree (S Class Mercedes were the flagship model)...

And best of all, it runs on diesel!

Josh & I are pretty excited to have it. Now it just needs some cleaning up, lots of elbow grease, and an inspection & emissions & we'll have a fun project car to drive around & slowly start restoring.

The car has very little rust on it, but does have 217,000 miles on it (that we can tell anyway, I tend to think it has even more than that from the Carfax, but hey, it's 25 years old & runs!). It has power seats, automatic climate control, rides really firm & smooth, and runs really well!

Let the work (fun) begin!

4 comments:

Kierst said...

We had one of these. Not an s class, but it was in great condition and was a diesel. It ran really well until we blew a head. But that's another story. When we blew the head, it had over 300,000 miles on it, so I would think that you guys will be able to get quite a bit more mileage out of your beauty.

Graydon Blair said...

Must have been a 1987 or newer. They moved to aluminum heads on them in 87 and were much more prone to head gasket issues; but still, they were great cars even given the aluminum head issue.

I'm loving this one so far though.

red said...

Snow white. That's cool. It looks like it's in pretty good shape. Generally cars made by tank companies are pretty tough :)

Michelle said...

Collin said his parents had one very similar to yours. Have fun with your new project.