Saturday, July 26, 2008

Childhood Memory







I was in a jam. What was I going to do? I tried my best to concentrate on the words that my dad was saying. This was a special moment for me. I was being confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I could feel Dad’s tears on the back of my neck and the weight of all the hands on top of my head. I should be listening, but the state of my hands occupied my thoughts. How was I going to shake hands with everyone at the end of the prayer?

This weekend had started out so well. Just the day before I entered the waters of baptism. I could still feel the warmth of the water and see the smile on my Mom’s face. I felt so grown up. I enjoyed primary this morning and was excitedly nervous for Sacrament meeting when I would be confirmed and presented as the newest member of the Miller Ward.

Before dismissing class my primary teacher had given each student a gumball. That made the day even better. I hurried into the chapel to my family’s regular seats; the second and third benches on the east side of the chapel, right behind the deacons. I absent-mindedly entertained myself in anticipation for my big moment. Suddenly it was time for me go to the front of the room. The only problem was that I had been playing with my gum and now it was stuck all over my hands. I clasped my hands together, interlocking my fingers. This way my hands would be folded in my lap during the prayer. I was mortified!

The prayer ended. I could feel my heart racing as I stood to face the circle of men. As the first hand was extended I smiled, feeling my face flush, and revealed the state of my hands. After a short moment I rushed out of the room toward the bathroom. I had to get this stuff off.

To this day I don’t know what the general reaction was to my exit, but the ordinances had been performed and I know I will never forget it.

3 comments:

grandma blair said...

Valerie, that is so funny, thanks so much for sharing, and if that is a picture of you on that fence, your little Emily is the spitten image of her Mom.

VJBlair said...

Yes, that's me when I was about 6or 7.

Kristi said...

Val,
That is a hilarious story! I can't believe that never came up during our roommate days. I love it!