Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Working At Home In Your Underwear...NOT!

You know, it's funny, since working from home I have a lot of people ask me, "So, can you really work in your underwear from home?" or stuff like that....

So here's how that works.
I guess if I REALLY WANTED TO I could, but I don't.

I have an office in the basement complete with everything you'd have in a traditional office (phones, fax machine, printers, computers, etc). Lot's of stickies on the walls, a big map of the US, and a bunch of other stuff.

Basically, I get up in the morning, shower, get dressed and "head off to the office" and when I mean "head off to the office" I really mean it.

I basically head down to the office, shut the door and "work time" begins.

Now, contrary to what everyone thinks, I don't work in my underwear. Quite the contrary. T-shirt & shorts? You bet! But not underwear.

It's a frame of mind thing.

You see, if you really want to "work", you kind of have to be "in the working frame of mind" so I dress like I'm going to work. I act like I'm at a job, I do the sort of things you'd do if you were at a job, and the whole routine. I even take "a lunch break" and mini-breaks in between. I just happen to do it at my house.

I don't know that I could even pull off working in my underwear anyway, I'd feel, well, like I was working in my underwear & it'd throw off my frame of mind.

Since working at home now for over a year I've found that if I treat it like a job, I get a lot more accomplished. I walk in, shut the door and "go to work".

Now, that said, I dress A LOT more comfortably than if I was working in an professional office. Today I'm sporting a T-Shirt and a nice pair of khaki
shorts. I also wear sandals. I just have to say that I LOVE sandals! (and now HATE shoes!)

I have really big feet. OK, I have FREIKEN HUGE FEET! Like as in Flintstone Wide Feet. Wearing shoes has ALWAYS been uncomfortable for me because I can never find a pair comfortable enough to wear. So, sandals (with their lack of sides) rock!

As for the "professionalism" thing, I can regularly be found with a phone headset hooked on my head and my feet on my desk talking on the phone with customers on a regular basis.

Yep. Gotta love the life of working at home (it just won't be done in my underwear anytime soon).

So, if you're up for some fun, and you give it a go, scratch that line about "working in yer underwear", I just don't see it happening....

-Graydon

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Welcome to the Blair family blogging community. Just so you know we like pictures (hint hint wink wink) See If I did this post I would of had Emily come downstairs and take a picture of me in my T-Shirt, shorts and sandels, but that is just me.
We are just happy you are joining us for some fun.
It will be good to get to know you better.

Cindy said...

Welcome to the Blair blogging world Graydon!
David also has his "office" in the basement (his boss lets him work from home a lot). Which is really nice, but he has had to use the mute button a few times when the girls are fighting or come down to ask some silly question during a conference call. He still thinks it's better than facing the commute and dressing up for work though!

Especially since he gets his meals and snacks hand delivered by his cute little girls.

grandma blair said...

I was at your house the other day and saw Josh go off to work with you. It was so cute. He just slid out the door with his Dad and headed for the shed. Valerie says it happens all the time. It was very cute.

Mom B said...

So glad you have joined the blogging world. Enjoyed hearing about your job at home; you must be very disciplined to keep working at it all day. Carl can work at home occasionally. Totally understand the Flintstone feet - Suz had to order Cayden's first shoes ONLINE because his foot is so wide.