Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Math Over The Ages....

This was hilariously funny! (and sad but true all at the same time).

I received this funny story from a friend.

Just a commentary on "counting out change".....when I worked as a waiter, a very sharp waitress taught me how to count back change with exact precision (and with no calculator what so ever). I can still do it to this day to the exact penny regardless of how much the bill is, how much someone hands me or how complicated I have to be in giving them cash back. My customers get a kick out of it these days).

And now we present Math Through The Ages....

FIFTY YEARS OF MATH:
2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?
Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?


2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80.
Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009
Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

OK, now a joke on #5.
When I served a mission in the 90's in Oregon, I served in the logging town of Astoria, Oregon. One of the mission leaders had a bumper sticker on the back of his truck that summed up the whole logging situation at that time quite pointedly.

It went like this:
"Due to the lack of wood & paper products, wipe your ass on a spotted owl!" I still laugh every time I see the picture I took of it.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Those are pretty funny-I hope they are not true. I am glad that my kids are in a "back to basics" math school. Math is their first subject of every day. Lyssa's learning times tables as a 1st grader.

Max said...

So, what's the answer? Did he make a profit, or have to get a bailout?

Graydon Blair said...

He got a government bail out plus they now pay his health care and social security and translate everything into Spanish since the poor fellow couldn't figure out how to learn the English language.

He also gets paid under the table with cash so he doesn't have to pay into the Social Security or Medicare system.