Monday, November 10, 2008

Aah, Maintenance!!!


Free Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.comFree Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.com
Our water softening system hasn't been working right lately. We had it tuned-up a year ago and we were pleased with the company that performed the work, so we called them again to come and check for problems.

This was a completely different story.

He showed up and after checking it didn't find anything really wrong. Graydon had to really argue with the guy to get him to admit that there was something wrong with the timer, but he still thought the problem was that the system was old and suggested that we should replace entire system. We settled on replacing just the head unit. It was a little pricey, but something had to be done to make it work.

For the next three hours or so he worked to replace the part. He neglected to check the water pressure before turning on the new unit and water went everywhere, a filter and pipe were broken and resin went into all the water in the house. Cold and hot water had to be flushed and we still don't have it all out of our heater. So now we have to fix another part, clean up a flood in the laundry room and drain out the heater. Plus Graydon is having to replace our water pressure valve. Apparently our old system could handle a higher water pressure than the new.

A simple maintenance call turned into a nightmare and to top it all off, while at Home Depot, Graydon discovered that we could have purchased a whole new system for half the cost of what we paid this guy.

While Graydon dealt with one problem after another instead of working I had to make dinner and do dishes with no running water. Luckily I had bottled water in storage.

7 comments:

Dave said...

Oh man that sounds like a big pain! Sorry you had a bad day!

grandma blair said...

What a horrible thing to happen. Was it the same repair guy who came the second time?

VJBlair said...

No, it wasn't the same man from a year ago. After everything, it still wasn't working, so Graydon called in a complaint and the guy came back out this morning and replaced the whole unit. It works now.

Graydon Blair said...

I really laid into the company too. I don't normally get ticked, but this one really ticked me off & I made no bones about it.

So, if any of you need to install a new water pressure valve in a tight space, I can do it without having to solder a single pipe (new cool fitting called a Shark Bite).

It wasn't a pleasant night....

Today the unit still didn't work right & he had to pull the new replacement one (that replaced the other one he put on yesterday) three times before it started working right.

I was pretty anal with him too this time making sure EVERYTHING worked right.

Moral of the story. If it ain't COMPLETELY broken; make it work as long as you can. The price they wanna stick you with to fix it ain't pretty.

Damned Water Softener (sorry, it really ticked me off!)

Max said...

So, why didn't you go to Sam's Club and get one of their top of the line pop right in GE units for $350?

Max said...

I feel your pain, man! I had a day like that yesterday.
I woke up and the bed was wet, then I noticed the pillows were wet. Then I felt a drop of water on my head. It was raining and the roof was leaking! When I went to get out of bed, I stepped on a surprise the dog we were tending left. Our bathroom is just next to the bed, so I had to go really bad. I went to the bathroom, but one of the grandkids had managed to somehow leave the door locked.I tracked up the bedroom when I went to get a key. The only thing I could find was the single Camry key. I put it in the lock as far as it would go, but it seemed stuck. I twisted a little harder, and I heard the lock click open. No, wait, the knob still wouldn't turn. The click was the key, (one of those chip keys) had broken off in the lock!. It was a cheap lock, so I thought I could sort of wobble the doorknob and have it open like some of the cheap locks do. Sure enough, it turned, then came off in my hand! By this time, I had to go to the bathroom so bad I was dribbling like Michael Jordan. I figured if I pull back on the stub of the door knob I could spring the door enough for it to open. I gave it a little bump at the same time and it came open. Actually, the door split the lockset out from where it had been banged on before. At least I got the door open. I reached in to turn the light switch on but the lights wouldn't come on, and the light switch had water dripping out of it from the leaking roof. I stepped in the bathroom and promptly fell on the floor, slipping on what I thought at first was water from the roof. On the way down, I scraped my back on the towel rack. Then, I felt a soggy piece of toilet paper and knew it wasn't the leak, but the toilet had flooded over and was still running a bit. When I jumped up, I slipped again forward and hit my head on the corner of the sink counter and my hand went down in the toilet as I tried to catch myself. I reached up and shook the toilet handle to stop it running, but the handle broke off. So, I lifted the top to the tank, but because my hands were wet, it slipped and smashed on my big toe which was over the bolt holding the toilet to the floor. I reached in to close the valve, but the top popped off it, which immediately started water spraying up in my face and all over the ceiling. When I reached down to shut the water off, (keep in mind, it's still dark) I banged my head on the little thing that holds the toilet paper roll. When I got a hold of the shut off valve, it was corroded so it wouldn't turn. I managed to put both hands on it and twisted really hard. It turned, about a 1/16th of a turn, the promptly broke off, and I felt water starting to leak out from around the stem....that's when my morning started to go down...

Graydon Blair said...

Oh my gosh!
That makes my mess look a lot less painful.

on the water softener...
It was too late by the time I had hit Home Depot for the pressure relief valve. He'd already installed the stupid thing.

Last time they came out to fix it, it was all of $100.00 so I figured this time, heck, pop a clock in, & he's outta here....

Yeah right....

...so, if anyone wants to feel some of the "softest water in Utah", come on over, I apparently have "one of the best on the market" Yeah right, and pigs can fly.

Ion exchange is still ion exchange.

-Graydon