Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A New Hobby! (Taking Pictures!) (And new blog)

A few weeks ago I made the decision to finally get a new digital camera and picked up a Nikon D40 DSLR. I'd worn my old Olympus C5050 completely out (10,000+ pictures) and it was time to upgrade to something better...

Well, in doing some research on cameras I ran across a website by a photographer in California that publishes a site on how to take pictures.

Here's the link:
The guy's name is Ken Rockwell and he's a brilliant photographer!

After reading for several nights on his site, I took the plunge & bought one of the cameras he'd recommended (the Nikon D40). I couldn't be happier!

Not only does it take really clear shots (we've posted a couple of the kids), but, it has a lot of controls you can mess with to get some really cool shots that you otherwise couldn't do on a compact.

For instance....
This shot was taken in nearly complete darkness:


This shot was taken in dusk:


This shot was taken without a flash in really low light:


The secret? Let the camera do the work for you!

I absolutely love the vivid colors it takes and am amazed at what you can do when you really use a camera how it was meant to be used.

Ken Rockwell, the guy on the site I mentioned earlier, says that to properly use a camera, you need to DRIVE it! (Just like a car).

The nicest car in the world won't stay in the lanes if you don't hold the wheel & point it where you want it to go.

Likewise, a camera won't take the kind of pictures you want unless you help it out a little.

Things like messing with exposure, white balance, and automatic ISO.....
Getting the light right and a whole lot of other cool stuff.

So, what's the new hobby? TAKING PICTURES!!!

It's like someone showed me a whole new world! I was snapping pictures like crazy tonight, messing with the settings & retaking the pictures.

Here's his link to "driving the camera"
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/drive-your-camera.htm

If you'd like to see how many cool things you can do with your camera, just stop by his site & start reading....

So, with this new "hobby" firmly started, I've started a new blog to share some of the cool photos I'm hoping to take.

Here's the link:
http://graydonsphotos.blogspot.com

Enjoy the pictures!
(And if you read up on the site on how to take better ones, maybe we can swap pictures)

-Graydon

2 comments:

Le said...

I love taking pictures with my Canon but it's film and places are slowly taking developing film away. The pictures are so much better with a nice camera.

Graydon Blair said...

Yeah, I remember the Canon you had.
Amazingly sharp pictures!

Film still trumps digital in terms of color depth & image quality though...especially with a good lens.

That guy's site I was reading on still praises the quality of film.

-Graydon