Sunday, November 16, 2008

Daddy's Girl

So since having kids, I've never experienced the whole "Daddy's Girl" thing...until now...


Both Josh & Emily never really "clung" to their Daddy as babies. Instead, they preferred "mommy". Josh still does...

But Laurie is different....and Daddy is loving it!

When Laurie was born I knew things were going to be different. No longer could we play "Man on Man" defense and no longer could I get away with letting Val deal with the majority of the fits & stuff the kids always were bound to throw.

So, from very early on, I took a much more active part in "helping out with the kids" when Laurie arrived. I spent a lot more time holding Laurie at bedtime while "mommy" put Emily & Josh to bed (they have this whole routine that Daddy just doesn't do justice too...and the kids know it).

With all those night-time routines, Daddy & Laurie got to spend a lot of "quality time" together (ok, mostly daddy holding Laurie while Laurie made "baby sounds").

I didn't think anything of it until a couple weeks ago when Val & I both noticed that Laurie really likes hanging out with her Daddy.....even more so than hangin' with Mommy (something Daddy really is getting a kick out of).



One night we were doing the normal routine and I had been holding her but when mom came to pick her up to take her to bed (Mom still does the "putting to bed" routine with her, Daddy just ain't got the touch), we noticed that she wanted to stay with Dad.

After that, we noticed if given the preference, she preferred to go to Daddy. In fact, in the last week or so, we've noticed this coming on even stronger.

During the day, she'll crawl back to where my office is and look at my office door longingly. If I should come out & see her, the universal flailing arms kick in (short for "Yo, Dad, pick me up down here!") and if I don't pick her up immediately the tears kick in.

We've noticed that she can literally spend hours "just hanging with Daddy". She loves being with her dad & Dad absolutely loves it and is soaking it in!

Neither Josh nor Emily ever exhibited this behavior (given the choice they always wanted to go to "momma". Josh STILL prefers mom & Emily just wants to be on her own--the independent child that she is).

The past few days I've spent "hogging Laurie" as much as possible, because, well, she likes to hang with Dad & Dad loves this fact.

So, I now understand that whole "has Daddy wrapped around her finger" thing....


Laurie & Daddy have been having a great time ever since we discovered this!

If she's crying, pouting, or just not feeling well, all I have to do is pick her up & everything is all better.

Tonight she was crying & couldn't be consoled....even when Mommy picked her up. I said, "Come to Daddy!".....and, 10 seconds later while in my arms she was happy as could be!

Yep! Lauries a "Daddy's Girl!"

-Graydon

3 comments:

grandma blair said...

You are a very lucky Daddy, I would watch out though, Remember how much Daniel was a momma's boy. It tends to escalate into other things. But enjoy it while you can. Fun Times.

Graydon Blair said...

True...very true...

From Wellsville.
"Graydon, go get Daniel out of the crib, he's crying"
"Mom, he won't let me take him out of the crib!"
"Just grab him!"
"He's standing at the back of the crib & won't let me touch him!"

=======
Often heard in Clearfield.....
"No! You took a drink of it! I don't want it anymore! I want a NEW one!"
=======

Yep. Oh do I remember!

Josh & Emily get lots of "Daddy time" every time I run an errand though. That's why we got the truck. Josh "LOVES THE TRUCK!"

Emily just likes going somewhere other than staying home.

Laurie just likes hanging with Dad though & I'm loving it!

-Graydon

red said...

Good for you! I always liked Daddys' girls the best :) Take her to the auto parts store. She'll remember it when she's older...nothing smells as good as Checker...except for Lowes!!