Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Mac Rocks!

About 4-5 months ago I picked up a Mac Book Pro as a "back up" laptop to my Dell (because the Dell kept crapping out on me) and I'd also heard lots of good stuff about Macs & figured I'd give it a try.

Here's what my MacBook looks like:



So far, it's been an awesome 4-5 months with this thing.

It definitely took a little getting used to (where's the right mouse button and where did my Page Up key go?) but once you're hands figure out how to get around those problems (two fingers tapping on the mouse-pad acts like a right-mouse click), your hands just do it automatically.

I'm totally hooked!

We have 4 computers at our place: A big honkin' Dell--it even glows, no really, I'm serious, it really does glow..., a Dell Laptop (Piece of Junk!), a Prime Systems generic PC (the local school district always buys their PC's from this place, and, the mighty MacBook.

For daytime use when I'm doing business stuff I live on the big honkin' Dell (I mean, it's got a 24" flat panel monitor and all the stuff I need to run the business, wouldn't you?), and when I'm in my "free time" not doing business stuff but still want to browse the web, it's the MacBook all the way!!!

I know a lot of people say, "Well, what's the big deal? It's just a computer!"....well, yeah, but it's such a BETTER computer!!!!

So far the thing has been rock-solid! It did crash once on me (I had VM Ware up running Windows & Windows was actually what crashed, OS X was still running just fine).

And, it just does what it does so well!

Someone really had their head on straight when they designed these things too. They just "Feel" solid! You can't really describe it until you mess with one for a while (more than just an hour), but after a while, it just has such a great tactile feel to it that it's a joy to work on.

I absolutely love all the cool stuff it can do out of the box too.
iMovie just plain rocks! It's what finally got me into editing movies (yeah, some say iMovie08 is kind of basic, but hey, it got me going! Adobe Premiere Elements 3 & 4 never did that!)

If I had to say I wanted something more of it, it'd probably be just adding more RAM to it (it has 2 GB, but for video's I think it'd edit faster with 4.)

That said though, the fact that it doesn't crash when you're editing your videos (which Premiere Elements does ALL THE TIME! Even on the big, honkin Dell), and, when it does crash (iMovie has crashed on me once the other night..still not sure why), when I brought it back up it didn't "lose everything I'd been doing" for the last 3 hours (you know, like any Windows program would've done), nope. It brought everything back up where I was before complete with the very last edit I made. Now that's smart software!

Anyway, I just have enjoyed having it around so much that I figured I'd spew a few comments about it here.

Point being...
If you're looking to upgrade to a new PC or Laptop, give a Mac a try.
Go & hit the local Apple store & play around with them. You just might find yourself as enamored as I've become over them.

I'll always have to have Windows around as I have lots of programs that'll only run on Windoze (yes, I spelled that purposely that way), but with VM Ware I can run them both with no problem.

So before you plunk down that hard earned cash on a Dell (JUNK!) or that cheap lookin' HP or Toshiba (which probably IS just as cheap as it looks), go try an Apple. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Side note on Dell's.
While everyone uses them, it's because they're cheap.
I always buy the 3 year extended warranty on all my Dells BECAUSE I END UP USING THE DARN THING! I've yet to make it a single year on a Dell w/o having something go wrong. Even the big, honkin, expensive, top of the line Dell lost it's hard drive within 2 months of it being here. The laptop was just a nightmare...and it's barely over a year old (well, ok, it's gone now because DELL HAD TO REPLACE THE DARN THING WITH ANOTHER ONE!!!)

Yeah, I've kind of lost my faith in Dell. After owning 3 BRAND NEW Dells in the last 3 years, and every one of them having problems, I'm done with em! I also don't care much for Vista (after 1 day of having the replacement laptop--that they'd only send with Vista on it--apparently XP isn't shipping anymore--it completely crashed & had to be rebuilt--because it tried to update the Dell software on it..go figure).

Anyway, moral of the story, go try a Mac, iMac, or MacBook. You just might find them to be as great as I have.

-Graydon
Total Mac Fan!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Collin may as well work for mac the way he is always trying to sell them to everyone. He has already told me when we replace my laptop it will be a mac..... well really he would like to get a new one and give me his old one.
punk.
He has also made a habit of when my PC is having problems saying, my mac doesn't do that.

Graydon Blair said...

Yep. Me & Collin would get along great with our Macs. I've been so impressed with them.

I think they call it "Mac Snobs".
Yep. I'm becoming one...

I just absolutely love the thing! And for video editing it totally beats a PC upside the head, knocks it over, pushes it down a ladder and then laughs at it from the top of the roof. It does such a better job of it.

So, yep, I know what he's talking about....I love mine!

-Graydon

Brandy said...

My friend bought a Mac last year and has been trying to sell everyone she knows on them! We bought a Dell the same time she bought hers and are happy with it, but as much as the has talked about hers it's definitely something we'd look into in the future!

Graydon Blair said...

I really don't like my Dell laptop.
The first one I had had the LCD go bad....3 times! To Dell's credit they came out & fixed it but when the 3rd one broke too I made them send me a new one.

The new one they replaced it with is really cheesy. You can't even get the volume to go up all the way, the web cam on it won't work, and the buttons at the top don't work like they're supposed to either...

Where I used to work they all had Dell too & for the most part they were ok, but they sure use the cheapest components they can find.

But I do love the Mac!
-Graydon

Dave said...

Happy Birthday Graydon. Glad you love your mac.