Saturday, March 21, 2009

What Part Of "We're Closed" Don't You Understand?



Running a business from home, I'm consistently amazed at the number of times my phone rings on the weekend or at some very strange hours of the day.

On the "contact us" page on my website where my phone number is listed, I even go so far as to spell out the hours I'm open explicitly and even post a virtual clock of what time and day of the week it is.

Here's the link to the page:
http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/contactus.php

Just below the clock, I even indicate verbiage that say's, "If the clock above indicates Wed, Sat, or Sun, we're closed", yet every weekend the phone still rings.

It's strange. I don't understand it. Do people just think that magically by calling they can change what time it is? Or maybe even what day of the week it is?

The funny thing is, the clock is pretty prominent near the phone number. I even have "Closed Wed, Sat, & Sun" in bold red lettering...yet still the phone will ring.

The strangest thing is when it rings at 3am in the morning, or 11pm at night.

I have no idea who these people are that call, because....as the site say's, I'm closed during those times and I won't answer the phone.

The funny thing is, people that have my work cell number think that if they call that number I'll pick up (the message on that phone just say's that I don't answer that phone and to call my main number).

Today my main line rang, then the cell rang, then a moment later the main business line rang again. I think it's kind of funny....but, I still won't pick up the phone.

The reason? There's this thing called Precedent. If I answer it for one customer, then that means I might have to do it for the rest...and I value my time and my sanity.

When I first started the business, I'd answer the phone quite a bit, but then I finally developed "office hours" and life has been much better ever since.

The weekends are mine and once it hit's 6pm, the rest of the evening is mine too.

That said, I guess some people just never do quite get it......or else they just can't read.

Oh well, it's the weekend & I'm off to enjoy the rest of it.

4 comments:

red said...

It sounds like your business is pretty popular! Do you have them leave a message? I always call places at 3 a.m. to try and leave a message :) Generally those places don't have people living in them though!!

Graydon Blair said...

Yep. Anyone can leave a message. I have a huge voicemail box.

Anna said...

i totally call people when their closed on purpose, to just leave msg's. You should shut off your phone when your closed. :)

Graydon Blair said...

I just don't understand why on earth you'd want to call someone after hours just to leave a message. Why not just call & talk to them during business hours & actually get it taken care of?

Strange....

Unfortunatley, my phones aren't that easy to disconnect and it messes up the caller ID; so I get to hear them ring...after hours & all.